The Journey Completed!!

The journey to my 100,000 step day is finally complete.  Initially conceived nearly a year ago, and first planned for completion in May, it has taken longer than I originally planned, but better late than never!!

After 3 trial runs over the summer to iron out the kinks in my plan, I was finally ready to go for it and set my sights on Saturday, September 16th.  The sudden and unexpected passing of my beloved sister, Robin, on September 11th brought a sharp, tragic postponement to that plan.  On what may have been the final day of her life, she had penciled into her day-planner for Sept 16th, 'Wes's Walk'.  I know she planned to call me and encourage me during my attempt and while she never got the opportunity to make that call, that notation assuring me of her love and support gave me every bit of motivation - and more - to complete this journey in her memory.

Upon returning home from Minnesota following Robin's funeral, I reset the date for Saturday, Sept 30th.  My plan all along had been to start early - at 4:00 am.  In fact, I began each of my previous trial runs at this time to make them as realistic as possible.  But at the last minute, I decided to start the walk at the stroke of midnight.  Why waste 4 good hours when I might need them later?  So, after working a regular day on Friday, and celebrating the upcoming wedding of a friend and co-worker afterwards, I gathered my food, water, Gatorade, 'medical kit', and changes of clothing/footware into the car, and headed down to Quidi Vidi Lake, arriving shortly after midnight.  Climbing out of the car, I took my first step towards my goal at 12:11 am Saturday morning.

The weather was my first concern.  It was a chilly 5 degrees.  The wind was blowing stiffly out of the north.  And worst of all, a soaking drizzle/mist was threatening to soak me to the bone in short order.  In fact, I almost called the attempt off before it really even got started.  But... in the end, I decided to soldier on.  If the rain persisted and I got too wet, I could change clothes/footwear.   And if I ran out of dry clothes and chafing/blisters/hypothermia became an issue, I would accept defeat and live to fight another day.  As it turned out, the mist stopped and the skies partially cleared within the first 15 minutes and it stayed dry the rest of the night and day to follow.

Each 3.7 km lap of the lake was adding about 5,000 steps to my count and at the easy walking pace I settled into, I was completing a lap every 45 minutes.  After 3.5 laps, I had completed about 17,500 steps and it was getting towards 3:00 am.  The only notable incident was a couple sightings of a fox near the bottom end of the lake.  At one point during the dark night, we faced off against each other about 20 feet apart on a boardwalk, when he suddenly darted directly towards me.  A little taken aback by his brazenness, I was relieved when he lightly trotted right past me.  I guess we were both just trying to figure out how to get by each other.

Another pleasant distraction came in the form of a phone call from my west-coast dwelling brother, Dan.  Before heading to bed, he called to see how I was doing and it was a real encouragement to have someone to talk to in the dark, cold, lonely wee hours of the morning.

I decided to leave the lake for a bit, and do a little tour of downtown St. John's between 3:00 and 4:00 am.  The numerous bars had closed for the night, but the streets were still crowded with... uh... energized and 'colourful' people.  After a quick circuit down Duckworth Street and back Water Street, I arrived back at the Quidi Vidi lake around 4:00 am and continued circling.  For the remainder of my day, I did not leave the lake again.

Between 4:00 and 7:00 am, I completed another 4 laps/20K steps and was cheered by the dawn of a new day.  Having forgone sleep, I battled drowsiness in those pre-dawn hours, sometimes weaving like a drunk down the path as I was literally falling asleep on my feet.  But I was eventually buoyed by the brightening skies around 6:30 am and encouraged as I neared the halfway milestone of 50,000 steps, which I achieved around 8:15 am.  It was also at this point, feeling more confident in my attempt, that I posted on FaceBook that the attempt was on, and I was calling on any and all to come down to the lake and walk with me for a bit.  I was pretty sure as the day wore on, I could really use the encouragement and distraction from the inevitable discomfort that walking companions would provide.

Around 9:30, Judy and Piper showed up with a refreshing Tim Horton's coffee.  It was a fantastic lift to my spirits, and the caffeine helped perk up my sleepy body.  Piper turned out to be a little too enthusiastic - jerking her leash to visit every person, dog, duck, and pigeon she came across.  After a long arm-straining lap, Judy took her back home and I was by myself again for a bit.

Shortly before 11:00 am, somewhere around 65,000 steps into my day, Darrin Goulding showed up to walk a lap with me.  Darrin is a work colleague and we've become good friends, after working on a number of common projects together.  Darrin is also an avid runner, and is very familiar with setting goals and pushing his body hard to meet them.  I think Darrin was just as excited as me about this project and I wasn't surprised at all when he took time out of his day to come and encourage me.  This was the point I just knew that I would be successful on this day.  I also suspected there were some tough moments ahead, but I just wasn't going to let myself or any of my supporters down.

After completing my lap with Darrin and topping 70,000 steps, I decided to take a short 5 minute break and grab a snack and a drink while sitting in my car.  Judy called and said she was coming back to the lake and we decided I would extend my break a bit until she got there.  So my 5 minute break stretched into a 15 minute break.  BIG MISTAKE.  When Judy arrived and I tried to start walking again, the pain in my sore feet, rubbed toes, and aching knees was beyond belief.  Every hobbled step was such a stabbing jolt of pain that it took every bit of willpower to restrain an audible groan.  Only 30,000 steps left to go?  Only 30,000 jolts of excruciating pain?  My confidence suddenly drained away and was replaced by doubt and fear.  Who was I kidding?  I wasn't sure I had it in me to do 100 more steps.  Anyone who has worn a Fitbit knows that 30,000 steps is a lot.  That's a VERY long and active day and something that most rarely, if ever, achieve.

At this low moment, my dear wife grabbed my hand and began gently pulling me along the trail.  With every step, I squeezed her hand tight, gritted my teeth, and willed myself onward.  Thankfully, after a few 100 meters, the edge began to wear off the pain and soon I was walking again.  Not pain-free exactly, but it was once again manageable.  One thing I knew for certain.  Until I hit the magic number of 100,000, there was no way I was stopping anymore.  My plan for short 5-10 minute breaks every 5,000 steps immediately went out the window and it was finish or bust from that point on.

Judy walked another lap with me and then had to leave again for a bit.  I had passed 75,000 steps now and 5 more laps around the lake would see me to the finish line.  About half-way around, I ran across lifetime friends, Don and Joanne Reid, who had arrived to walk with me.  And then shortly after that, another great friend, Pam Bonnell, joined our little group.  Soon, Tim Harpur showed up as well!  I can't tell you how much I really needed that.  We talked, we laughed, and I stopped thinking about the time, the steps, and mostly importantly the pain.

I kept hoping that by losing track of time and being distracted by good company that I would be pleasantly surprised at some point by how many steps had slipped by.  And in fact, I was consistently surprised - unfortunately by how few steps had gone by.  The 70 and 80,000's went by at a snail's pace.  I thought Don and Joanne had walked with me for several laps when, in fact, they were still on their first!  But finally, finally, I reached 90,000 steps and there was light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Judy rejoined our group at some point, and Don and Joanne bid a fond farewell.  At about 92,500 steps, another good friend and colleague from work showed up - Robyne Whalen and her faithful canine buddy, Sidney.  Only a week out from her wedding day and no doubt with many better things to do, I was thrilled she came out to see me over the finish line.  Judy had to leave for an appointment soon after, so as the finish line approached, it was Tim Harpur and Robyne Whalen cheering me on.  The moment I had been dreaming of for almost a year finally arrived between the boathouse and the top of the lake when my Fitbit finally registered step # 100,000 at 4:36 pm - 16 hours and 25 minutes after my first step.

The rest of the day... well there wasn't much I can remember after that.  I climbed into Robyne's car with my 100,001st step and she drove me around the other side of the lake to my car.  I drove home, managed to stave off sleep long enough to enjoy a hot bath and some Chinese takeout, and then fell into bed and slept for 12 hours straight.

Would I do it again?  Right now, I would say "Never"!!  But, then again, maybe the memories of the pain and suffering will fade, and the joy and satisfaction of setting a goal and achieving it will linger - prompting me to repeat this or some other equally inane endeavour.  Certainly the memory of how many people cared and showed their support throughout the day with kind and encouraging messages will remain with me forever.


Comments

  1. What a fantastic story and achievement! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Glad you enjoyed reading about it. I hope it inspires you to take on some challenge in your own life :-)

      Delete
  2. Amazing story and very proud of you. Thank you for sharing this uplifting experience with all of us

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog