The Journey Begins - With Careful Planning

 
With the popularity of Fitbit step-trackers exploding in the past few years, a popular fitness goal has emerged of taking 10,000 steps a day.  This level of activity is presumed to help maintain a basic level of fitness and health.

I’ve noticed over the past 9 months or so since I got my own Fitbit as a Father’s Day gift, reaching 10,000 steps on a normal day requires an additional 30 minute walk over and above my normal ‘office routine’.  On particularly active days – say if it’s a Saturday working around the house or going on a more extended hike, I’ve gotten up to 20,000 steps in a day.

But isn’t it human nature to assume more is better?  And sometimes it’s fun just to dream up a personal challenge for no good reason other than to see what is possible.  Setting a challenging goal and then working hard to achieve it is rewarding.  Addictive, even.

So… somewhere or other I heard about a challenge to complete 100,000 steps in a single 24 hour day.  Now… while this is probably not a simple feat to achieve, by any means, neither is it anywhere close to pushing the limits of human endurance.  Running a standard marathon in 4 hours or less is harder in the sense that fewer people are conditioned enough to accomplish it.  But at the same time, completing the 100,000 step challenge is something of a mental and physical stamina test that most could be proud of.  After all, 100,000 steps is approximately equal to 80 km – a much greater distance than I have ever covered in one day and nearly double the length of a standard marathon.  No running is required, but then again not many marathoners crossing the finish line are ready to turn around and do it all again!

Considering I am 49 years old, am somewhat overweight, and spend the great majority of my days chained to a desk and pushing a computer mouse around, what kind of impressive fitness challenge am I realistically ready to take on?  Exactly.

So… I’ve done a bit of research and found a few recorded attempts of people attempting this challenge – some successful and some not.  Lucky for me, they have been kind enough to share the knowledge gained into some helpful tips for success:

1.       Start early.  It takes 16 hours to walk 80 km at an average walking speed of 5 km/h.  Seeing as how you will need breaks along the way to eat, drink, answer the call of nature, change clothes, etc., this challenge will likely take 18+ plus hours.
2.       Route-planning is critical.  Avoid hills, obstacles, traffic, traffic lights, rough terrain.  A strenuous hiking trail is not what you are looking for here.  Flat and smooth and predictable will give you the best chance of success.
3.       Gear and supplies.  You will need plenty of food, liquids, footwear/clothing changes, first-aid for blisters.  And it needs to be readily accessible without having to carry a heavy backpack.
4.       Expect pain and be mentally prepared to tough it out.  Obviously it’s not smart to ignore a serious injury and push on risking more damage.  But this challenge will hurt and require a fair bit of mental motivation to push through the inevitable muscle aches, blisters, and soreness.
5.       Pull together a support team – particularly for the second half.  Ask people to join in with you for segments of the journey.  It will help motivate you when you might otherwise quit and distract you from the pain when your body does its best to convince your mind its time to stop.
7.       Attempt at a time of year when the temperature is moderate and the daylight is longer.  Living in Newfoundland, I figure May might be the right month.  Long days but moderately cool temps should be ideal for this type of challenge.  I read about a guy who attempted this in Arizona and didn’t start until 10:00 am.  Needless to say he would have been far better off starting at midnight and taking an extended break during the part of the day that exceeded 100 Fahreinheit.  Oh yeah.  He failed.

6.       Research, research, research.  Know your route.  Anticipate the challenges and plan as best as you can for it.  Learn from other people’s mistakes and incorporate what worked for them into your plan.

So, for my attempt,I have come up with a plan that incorporates as much of this wisdom as possible.  I intend to use a popular local walking trail that loops around a lake.  I’ve walked this 3.8 km loop many times and know it takes 41 minutes and 4,865 steps to complete each lap.  I plan to have changes of footwear, a first aid kit, plenty of nutritious food, plenty of water, and a case of a sports drink all available to me in my vehicle that I will park along the path.  That way, I can access my ‘stash’ every 41 minutes or so for regular pit stops.  The path is level and smooth.  I have broken up the challenge in 4 roughly equal segments with half-hour breaks in between.  I also have built in a cushion of 4 minutes per lap which I can use for shorter breaks or perhaps a slowing pace as the day wears on.

But maybe most importantly, I will engage as many friends and family as are willing to join me in a lap or two throughout the challenge.  I am sure they will lift my spirits and help with the mental fatigue and physical suffering that I will no doubt encounter.  After all, all of life’s experiences are so much richer when shared.

So… wish me luck.  Come this May, you just might see me strolling around Quidi Vidi Lake.  I expect I'll look just like hundreds of others enjoying a Saturday walk on this popular trail.  But unlike most, I will be pushing my limits and exploring what I’m truly capable of.  Succeed or fail, I believe will be better for the attempt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Completed!!